Saturday, July 23, 2011

Wall o' wine

Everyone who knows me is well aware of my love for red wine.  My collection of wine corks is legendary.  My corks have even been used in preschool projects (although my dear friend and preschool teacher Marian went out and bought corks this year, because she didn't think I had enough...  Oh Marian.  You silly gal.)

I always save corks from special occasions.  I always drop them in my purse, thinking that one day I will frame them with a caption of where we drank the wine and what the event was.  What usually happens is that I find the cork in my purse 2 months later, can't remember it's significance, and toss it in the pile with the everyday corks.


Who knows?  Maybe my corks will be worth something some day.  Twist-off caps aren't just for Boone's Farm anymore.

Anyway, I have always wanted to use the corks for some kind of decorating project.  Chances are our new house in St. Louis (if we ever sell this house and officially get there) might have a bar area in the basement and since we are never moving ever again, this is my opportunity to get creative.  

This idea came to me, and I want to get it out there so that a) someone reading this will hold me accountable and push me to actually do it and b) I'll remember what the heck my idea was in the first place.  Stay with me.  

I want a wall of wine.

The corks will be cut  - some lengthwise in half, others a number of times to make little disks.  They will have to be glued onto sections of a material that is hard enough to hold some weight, but flexible enough to attach easily to a wall.  I'll talk to Corey about that.  He'll know what to use.  

Next, with a $45 tool, I found out how to cut wine bottles in half for drinking glasses.  Drinking glasses are cool, but I want to cut wine bottles in half lengthwise.  Can that be done?  Probably not.  What I might have to do is break the bottles and arrange the pieces in a mosaic style along with the corks.  With the little pieces of glass - or pieces of red stained glass - I could even arrange it so that it would look like wine flowing out of a tipped over bottle.  I might have to break up a wine glass or two.  Wine has to flow into something.

Now I think this may have to be done on large tiles.  With broken glass, I would want to put some sort of resin over the top for safety and easier cleaning, and I would think that would keep the corks from getting dusty and yucky too.  Here is my VERY rough idea of what I want it to look like.  Fill in rest of the corks and add more bottles and glasses.  


Wow.  I draw like a 4 year old.  But you get the drift, right?  I'm going to do it.  It may look like crap and never touch my wall, but I'm going to give it a try.  Look for photos of the real thing in a about a year or two!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this idea! And I'm officially volunteering Corey's services to help out with the wall. He lives for this kind of stuff.

    ReplyDelete