Sunday, August 26, 2012

I Lied - or - The Summer of Pesto, Part 2

The day after I wrote The Summer of Pesto post, I went out and purchased this bad boy--


A girl can only resist a 20% off Bed Bath & Beyond coupon for so long.  My triceps will still get a workout, as I'm working the PULSE button instead of just being lazy and pushing ON.   And my pesto production has more than doubled!  It's all good!

And I admit, I am still tweaking the recipe.  Instead of Romano, I've started using a blend of Romano and Parmigiano-Reggiano.  What's the difference between regular old Parmesan and Parmigiano-Reggiano?  Glad you asked.  A cheese cannot be called Parmigiano-Reggiano unless it is made using a specific recipe and production method within the provinces of Parma, Reggio-Emilia, Modena, and specific regions in the provinces of Bologna and Mantua. (Not from Wikipedia, but still from the internet, so it has to be true.)  All I know is that it is much more flavorful than regular ol' Parmesan and is well worth the extra money. 

Since I am freezing 90% of what I make, I decided to bust a container out of the freezer last night for dinner, to see if all of this harvesting, chopping and processing was for naught.  It was from an earlier batch, one made without the help of my beloved Cuisinart.  I put it on whole wheat cheese tortellini and added sun dried tomatoes.  I was not disappointed. 


So today, I have made 3 batches.  As much as I hate wasting the wonderful basil still left in the garden, I think I have to stop making pesto for this year.  Or buy that freezer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment